Your Challenge This Week:
Capture the essential sounds of a place using a high-quality recorder and the techniques used in class. Capture video shots that go with these sounds and edit together a 1 minute immersive video.
Try to engage people you do not know in impromptu interviews on the street (or wherever), preferably on a topic that might work for your final project. Edit into a piece no longer than 3 minutes.
Remember to make sure whatever you do allows you to practice for your final project or even allows you to get started on it.
My 3 Year Goal: Create a video series on Religion
This Week’s Practice: Go to a local church and share the story of that church.
What I learned:
- + It took me a day, but I learned a 360 Video workflow
- – 360 Video does not work in low light
- – be aware of cropping on stabilization modes
- – Zippers are noisy. Avoid them or tape them down.
- – Use dead cats for wind – even on tiny lapels (I ordered some little tiny dead cats)
- – Be careful with timelapse settings (I lost half of my footage because my camera was in timelapse mode … ARGGHHH!)
- – Always get clean sound of the environment (not just interviews and people talking) It will help build your soundscape.
- – Need 1 inch or better sensor for low-light
- +- Clean stable shots and good gliding b-roll are very useful. I could have used more.
- + My audio was so bad I had to match manually. Learned Alt+Arrow to shift one-frame and Alt+Shift+Arrow to shift 5 frames
- + Get inside your subject’s personal story as they see it and honor that story
- + Cultivate compassion for your subject
- + 360Cam + 2 lapels could be a great moving interview setup if executed a little better
- + Living a little and taking chances in your everyday life ==> Better stories
- + Remember the key elements of anthropology
- + See Big, See Small, See it all
- + Experience More, Experience Difference, Experience Differently
- + Ask Questions, Make Connections, and Try New Things
Step One: What is your 3 year plan?
What challenge could you do for next week to contribute toward this plan?
Some Humans of New York Inspiration
Technical Tips / Reminders
Sound Design & Soundscapes